Thursday, August 25, 2011

Obviously More Important

Obviously haven't been the faithful blogger that I thought I would be. I thought I could "easily" blog a few times a week. Obviously that didn't happen.

I never dreamed it would take me so long to post about my October 2010 trip to Uganda, and now it's August 2011 and I have once again traveled to that country I love so much, and yet so much remains unwritten. I want to tell the stories of the trip in June. I want to tell about what God has been doing.

I want to blog more faithfully, but honestly I'm not going to stress about it. I've realized that my desire to produce and get things done can cause me to lose focus on more important things. Wanting to "just get this done real quick" leads me to produce instead of invest in the people in my life. I start off watching a movie with my brother and end up distracted with painting picture frames. I'm sorry, JR! Or I clip coupons while Skyping with my sister. I'm sorry, Bekah!

I want the people in my life to know that they're more important than stuff, whatever that stuff is. They're more important, because it's just a house....or it's just a picture frame...or it's just money.

My possessions or accomplishments or checklists don't matter. Obviously, the people in my life are more important. If you were to ask me, I'd tell you that without hesitation. But I've been realizing that I have a tendency to not back my words up with actions. I think "I can just do/clean/fix/paint do this real quick and then get back to _____." And maybe I can do something quick and get back to that person or what we're doing. But what does that say about my priorities?

I want to learn to be with the people in my life without worrying about doing. I think that it's going to take some time and it's not going to be an easy fix. I like being busy and I have a hard time sitting still, but I need to fight that tendency, because my family and friends are more important. They're infinitely more important.

Speaking of people in my life, this awesome guy and have been officially dating for 5 months tomorrow -


To celebrate he's taking me to dinner in Wilmington (as long as Hurricane Irene doesn't come sooner than expected). It's things like this that are really important. :-) 

Tomorrow also marks the one-year anniversary of this post - http://allyouwantmetobe.blogspot.com/2010/08/what-if-we-make-it-about-dating.html

So I will be trying to blog more. But if I don't, it's because I'm learning to show with my actions that infinitely more important than most of the things I do are the people I am so blessed to have in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment